I started making newer, more accurate diagrams of the joinery than those I posted earlier, but decided it would be easier to just build it and take photos of the actual joints instead. Better than any illustration I could make. But I did create a list of eight steps for how to build a simple trestle building:
- Select logs (simplest: 4 posts, 2 beams, 2 rafter-holders; also 8 diagonal braces and 10+ rafters).
- Make 5 primary types of cuts for the joinery w/ chainsaw, axe, chisels.
- Assemble on ground before fully erecting to adjust and ensure fit.
- Select and cut to fit rafters.
- Screw diagonal braces to post and beams and erect the two pairs on cinder blocks.
- Place rafter-holders on beams and screw diagonal braces between them and posts.
- Screw on rafters and roofing.
- Dirt or wood floors, and (traditionally) walls are several feet outside of posts, (though may be attached directly to posts).